Starting in 2003, A Better Course (formerly Campaign for Better Nutrition) worked with a very small, dedicated group of activists and administrators to develop what was then one of the most comprehensive wellness policies in the nation. The Wellness Policy, adopted in 2015, provides a framework to help school administrators promote student health and wellness. Highlights of the updated policy included:
- A reiteration of the existing policy that no student shall be denied a school meal because of an inability to pay.
- Withholding recess is not an option for dealing with behavioral issues.
- Sugar-sweetened beverages will not be sold or served to SFUSD students, staff or families at any time on any district property.
- Schools will promote healthy food and beverage choices for all students throughout the school campus.
- All vending machines on district property, including schools and central offices, shall adhere to SFUSD’s nutrition guidelines. Adult vending machines may contain unsweetened coffee or tea beverages.